Wednesday, November 17, 2010

My Home

Today's discussion centered heavily on architecture. Questions of where campus buildings drew their architecture from, where other colleges drew theirs from, where Jefferson drew his from, etc... All of this discussion made me wonder where my family got ideas and inspiration from in order to build our house.

My parents built our house the year I was born, and it is the only house that I have ever lived in. To me, its design is unique. For one, it is made out of limestone, and secondly, the design seems almost timeless. Although the house was built in the early 90's, I think that I would have a hard time pinning a date to it simply from its outer architecture. I know that my parents worked with a local architect in order to build it, but I have no idea what their collaborations were like or what they debated and discussed. After 18 years of living in the same place, the only design aspect I've ever heard discussed was the living room's vaulted ceilings. Apparently, my dad wanted high ceilings and my mom did not.

Today's discussion has prompted me to ask my parents more questions about my house and its "architectural origins". It may not be based off of great European architecture, but I might learn something more about my parents, their values, and the original ideas for my childhood home.

No comments:

Post a Comment