Thursday, April 28, 2011

Dan Rather: Live at St. Olaf College

Tonight I went to hear what the PAC speaker, Dan Rather, had to say. Although Rather mainly centered on the life story of his career, I found myself thinking about AmCon after many of his points of advice that he gave out to us as students. Namely, he urged all of us to be involved and active in public, government and in our communities, because they need it now more than ever. I could practically hear Tocqueville and Putnam whispering in my ear: this is what we've been saying all along. I find it almost humbling to remember that still, even in today's society, people must unite and work together. That people cannot do all great things alone, and that individuals are not as powerful as organizations. I believe that Dan Rather would probably agree with this statement. We are not a nation of individuals, but a united nation. The United States of America, to be correct. Let's start taking action to fit the name.

No comments:

Post a Comment