Wednesday, March 16, 2011

I Loathe Group Projects

This is going to be an opinionated piece.

I'm not sure what I think of this AmCon assignment. On one hand, it's very clear in its intentions and I (for the most part) understand exactly what we're supposed to be doing. I like the idea of using a précis and I like the subject of Putnam's Bowling Alone. On the other hand, it's a group project. Group projects are probably not my favorite: several people writing together is not easy. We all have different styles of writing and don't even know each others' style. Writing becomes particularly difficult when it's nearly impossible to maintain an equality of work for each person and some people are just generally a lot more busy than others. Also, it's midterms week for most students. This means that someone who is totally stressed out over his/her chem or math or (fill-in-the-blank) test(s), is more likely to devote less time to this project and more time to the exam that will affect his entire grade drastically. Therefore, everyone in this person's group has to put in more effort to makeup for his/her slack.

I realize that this problem might not be the case for every group, but I do know that not everyone likes group projects. Yes, it's a different style of writing and an opportunity to work with our fellow classmates... but I find it extremely difficult to rely on several other people for a part of my personal grade.

2 comments:

  1. Liza,

    I'm sympathetic. And, I hope that saying what you have said at least clears the air. And, I hope that say what I will write next won't fan the flames of loathing.

    A group project is an exercise in civic engagement and an opportunity to experience as well as to reflect upon the virtues and skills necessary for a functioning democracy.

    You will have noticed that in this project there is a section that displays each person's individual work.

    DeAne

    ReplyDelete
  2. DeAne,

    This blog definitely helped to clear the air for me. I figured that it was better to set aside the time to worry about it, and then forget about those worries.

    I see what you mean about the project being an exercise in civic engagement though. I guess I hadn't thought of it that way quite yet.

    Thanks!
    Liza

    ReplyDelete