Tuesday, October 5, 2010

"Liberty"

In the picture of the female figure with the Phrygian cap, I think that the cap essentially represents freedom and liberty.  I like the article we read about the transformation that this piece has gone through.  In the beginning, the Indian Queen represented America.  She was a "nude woman warrior decorated with feathers and usually accompanied by an exotic-looking animal, a bow and arrow, and the odd severed limb nearby." To me, the picture shows America's resistance to England because this is displaying the most "Indian" characteristics of the the transformations.  Eventually, the Indian Queen would turn into a "slender white princess."  This picture, to me, invokes Deloria's idea of "playing Indian."  With the woman dressed in a feathered headdress and skirt, she is crossing both English aspects with Native American aspects.  Also, the woman perhaps even became more attractive over the years, which I found interesting.  And, her name changes from Indian Queen to Columbia.  There are still Native American hints found in Columbia- I'm excited to discuss these aspects in class as well as how and why it evolved.

No comments:

Post a Comment