Monday, October 11, 2010

Pocahontas: The Legend

Reading about Pocahontas made me think about how little actually know about her, but how she is widely regarded as one of the, if not the most famous, American Indian woman.  Why is this?  We discussed this a little in class but I wanted to branch off of it a bit.  During class, I was trying to think of different reasons for why she was and still is relevant and important in today's American culture.  I came to a few conclusions:

1) Americans are eager to romanticize stories about the formation of our country.
2) The story of Pocahontas shows both Englanders and Indians in a good light.
3) Pocahontas is also a love story.

I think that ultimately, the story has drama to it.  It has been enhanced by the Disney film of course, but the real story itself does contain a lot of controversy.  The aspect that seems to make it popular is what I would call "positive" controversy.  Pocahontas has become not only a character in a Disney film, but also a symbol, and icon, just as we discussed in class.  She can be understood in many ways.

 

2 comments:

  1. Liza, I'm glad to see that the class discussion kept you thinking! Here is another question: why is the story cast as a love story? Is her marriage really central to her biography? LDL

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that the story is shown as a love story because it further enhances her and John Rolfe's relationship. Marriage signifies love, and showing an Englander and a Native American loving one another breaks down some of the racial barriers found during that time period and now. I don't consider the marriage to be central to her biography, but more of her actions, which coincidentally resulted in her marriage.

    ReplyDelete