Monday, October 18, 2010

Pocahontas: Part II

We've spent a good amount of time in class discussing Pocahontas.  On Wednesday, we talked about the different images of Pocahontas and how artists have portrayed her.  I've come to the conclusion, as I'm sure many other students have, that we really don't have any clue to how she looked.  Because I grew up thinking that a Disney movie was the most accurate representation, I now wonder how much of her appearance in the movie could be accurate at all.  Certainly, she had dark hair and eyes, and a thicker build, but almost everything else is just guesswork.  For one, I've now learned that Pocahontas would not have had a mature adult body because she was only around 10 years old when she met John Rolfe.  The Disney movie portrays Pocahontas as being this beautiful, statuesque Indian woman, but I feel as though the only thing we really know about her is that she is Indian.

For me, this makes Pocahontas even more confusing.  Now, not only do we not even know what she actually did or what type of person she was, but we also have no clue as to what she looked like.  Looking at the engraving of her in 1616, the only image of her during her real life, I become truly puzzled as to what image should come to mind when I think of Pocahontas.


^Huh?^

No comments:

Post a Comment