Sunday, October 3, 2010

Settling In

Now that I've spent over a month at St. Olaf, I've had some time to reflect on what transitions I have gone through during this time.  

My experience here is like no one else from my high school class... But yet I am so happy that I chose to come to school here.  I really can't imagine college anywhere else.  There is no one here from my hometown and it's been such a blessing in disguise.  Don't get me wrong, I miss all of my friends every day and wish that I could bring them here, but everyone that I spend time with here is completely new to me, and it's so refreshing just talking to each person.  Prior to coming to Olaf, I knew that this would be the perfect situation for me.  I am an independent person who wanted the opposite of my hometown, where I knew the names of everyone in my school.  In my hometown, I didn't HAVE to branch out to anyone because everything was right there and people practically thought that they knew me better than I knew myself.  So many people never branch out...but it was important to me to meet new people and see new things because I think that that is essential for new ideas to be formed.  If I had advice to give to students at my high school, my underclassmen friends, or even my younger sister, I would tell them to choose a place where you won't have to rely on anyone else.  In the future, you will have to make decisions that will dictate the course of your life.  Make those decisions on your own, without clouded judgement from someone else.


No comments:

Post a Comment