Monday, February 7, 2011

back to school, back to school...

Today was the first official day of AmCon 102... Yay! The atmosphere of our new classroom in Rolvaag is fantastic with its gorgeous wood paneling and fireplace, and I enjoyed relating today's discussion/subject to the current events going on in Egypt. That being said, I must say that I left class today feeling unsure and slightly confused about the main point that we were trying (or tried) to get to today. For me, it's difficult to answer very broad questions that have very broad answers... Am I alone, or does anyone else in our class feel the same? I realize that we are studying subjects that are open for individual interpretation but I wish that I could focus in on one aspect and closely examine it instead of trying to navigate my way through a huge subject for which I seem to have several different opinions...

What is my definition of a democracy? When I think about a democracy, yes, I think of voting to elect people, but also the idea of each person having equal power. Does the United States have a true democracy? As we discussed in class, no, but do I believe that the United States' democratic-republic is effective?... Yes. So there are my thoughts if that is part of what we should have thought about today.

Also, I appreciate that Jack was not embarrassed to say that he had never read or really heard of the 2nd Inagural Address. I hadn't known the significance of it either.

1 comment:

  1. Liza, You are right. The first day was an attempt to just open up the discussion of a huge topic and perhaps surface some of our unexamined assumptions. We WILL get much more specific. We might have asked our selves about how the American TPM is like and unlike the people's movement in Egypt and gotten very specific. LDL

    ReplyDelete